Purchasing a new build property differs from buying an ordinary house. In addition to getting a power performance certificate your solicitor should discover these information concerning the land before the sale goes ahead:

Access – you will require an excellent right of use of the property and you should not have to pay extra towards road maintenance. Normally an agreement is formed between the site developer and the local authority (under s.38 Highways Act 1980). Under this agreement the site developer is in charge of the upkeep of the estate roads’until they become adopted (maintained by public funds). The developer will normally remove insurance against your agreement.

Planning permission – your solicitor will check that planning permission has been received for the property and discover if any conditions have already been attached to this grant. If the permission is combined with conditions (as they often are) you must check that the developer has abided by these.

Building regulations – building regulation consents need to be obtained by the developer for the property. Building regulations provide some standards for the construction industry to stick to regarding the utilization of certain materials and the techniques employed. New Apartments Spain The area authority comes with an unlimited retrospective period of time to enforce building regulations and there can be hefty fines involved if the consents were not obtained.

What else is needed ahead of the exchange of contracts?

Your conveyancing solicitor will draft a contract of sale for you. The contract should contain provisions that ensure that the property is completed to the agreed standard by completion. An example of something that’s normally agreed upon involving the parties is easement and covenant rights for the property. You need to make an effort to make sure that these rights incorporate; a right of access, a right of way, a to sewerage, water and drainage and a right of usage total pipes and cables for utilities.

While not contained in the contract, these agreements must certanly be obtained generally to safeguard purchasers of new builds. These could be particularly relevant if buying a property off-plan:

Structural guarantees – a structural guarantee must certanly be given by the developer and/or his building contractors. Which means if unfortunately the property suffers structural problems, you can seek compensation. A structural defect does not merely cover the external composition, but in addition internal problems such as for instance bad plasterwork and decoration.

New building insurance – including the NHBC Buildmark scheme. Insurance like this will cover any problems the property has for up to 10 years.

It is also advisable where possible to obtain a certificate of approval from a specialist supervisor present on site (such because the architect); this individual should have the ability to guarantee the property’s structural quality.

Given the differences in purchasing newly built property, it is specially important that when choosing your conveyancing solicitors, you pick solicitors who have particular specialist experience of buying new build property.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *